Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fun in the Sun with a Touch of Blood!!


As most of you know, I love an adventure! o a few of the TOL guys and myself prepared for an adventure last weekend. At 5am, we hopped into Mr. Grill's Car, which just so happens to run on pure vegetable oil!! Alden passed along some nori sheets as we made our way down the dirt road to the beginning of our trek. Our goal was to find a waterfall tucked into the mountains. The only problem was that we didn't really know exactly where it was. There had been 2 previous attempts to find this magical place, but the crew who had set out, were denied.
With that in mind we set off up the dried up wash as the sun began to peak over the horizon. It was really a beautiful morning. As we walked along the ridge line of the rolling hills, we could see for miles. It is so nice to be in the absense of manmade noise, and really be in nature. On our walk we came across some massive footprints of a mountain lion which was freshly left in the soft dirt along side a stream. I think I began to walk a bit faster after seeing those prints!!
We came up another ridge and felt we knew where our destination was. So we walked down the steep imbankment to find what we had set out for! So we made our way down stream to find some amazing natural features. Here are some pics that don't quite show how amazing the land is here in southern Arizona, but it will give you an idea of what i'm talking about.






When it comes to me, things aren't always an adventure without a little blood or bruised body part. We all remember the bear incident and in the past I have fallin off bikes, tipped canoes and a few other mishaps that I will leave out of this blog!! We cam across this large pounding waterfall which lead to a cave, so one by one, we placed our bodies under the water to feel the cool water pour over us. As I made my way under the waterfall I came face to face with a boulder. Here are the results-


Don't worry folks, I am okay! Afterwards, I was a little hesitant to slide through any natural occuring waterslides, but I certainly had an amzing time. Alden, our TOL garden magician, showed us different plants thant we could eat like sourgrass, grass seeds as well as acorns. So with this adventure I learned about more native wild foods and to keep my eyes open for massive rock structures!!

No comments: